… I hope. I realized that the past 3 or 4 weeks I have spent a lot of time putting out fires. Things have come up that have needed to be dealt with immediately: car repairs, illnesses, computer breakdowns, etc. I am being proactive this week and focussing on one thing:
1. finish susurrations grant report.
That is all.
No new goals this week. It’s Thursday and I’m just getting to this now. On Monday and Tuesday family was visiting from Toronto, which was great! It did mean no time in the studio, but important time was spent. Yesterday was a teaching day and I got my hair cut, and today I started rehearsing with Jaime Williams for the movement/dance/voice piece. The goals from last week will be repeated for tomorrow:
1. Spend 1-2 hours daily on creative work
2. Burn susurrations to DVD (I just need to make copies!)
3. Finish susurrations grant report
Last week was one of those weeks where it was all about putting out fires. My car did not get repaired until late Thursday afternoon. My son got the flu. And there were other requests, needs, and sundry other things to deal with that kept popping up. I did manage to spend 1-2 hours per day on creative work, though I felt guilty about it. I’m finding that quite interesting, if not somewhat disturbing, so have decided to keep this goal in place because it does not feel like a habit yet. I would like the daily creative work to get to the point of it being a habit, and not feel at all guilty about it. I also did not get susurrations burnt to DVD because I had no car. And though I did get a start on my grant report for the film, I did not manage to get it anywhere near finished.
A day late again. Yesterday I did a lot of teaching and my car died a sad electrical death in the middle of a busy intersection. I think the teaching kept me sane, and the car is getting a new alternator today. The upside of all this is that I am house-bound today, which I think I really needed. Continue reading
A day late with this. I decided to take yesterday off as both E & J were home. Read. Spent most of the day in my pjs. Then went to my Modern Dance Technique class which revved me up for the rest of this week. J is off school all week so I think my goals—which are totally unformed in my head at the moment—will reflect that.
Last week was gloriously full. I got a lot of work done, but also had a lot of fun. susurrations sat for a few days, the Regina 60×60 event was fun and I met some great people, and the MidWinter SWG Salon was a great success and created more fans of Klingon Opera. Spent a lot of time with the fabulous Tracy Hamon. I didn’t get enough sleep, but I’m catching up.
It feels like things are flowing as they should at the moment and opportunities for collaborations and projects are coming up. These goal-setting posts are helping me to keep focussed on my work and what is important at the moment as opposed to becoming overwhelmed by what is in my calendar.
I’m almost at a segue with my goals this week. It’s partially because I’ve managed to complete all four goals I started out with and part of me is thinking “now what?” Today I’m going to try to come up with some new goals and still keep the reasonable aspects of them.
Last week was very successful in terms of my one goal: to do a rough edit of susurrations. I completed that with ease and did some audio editing and mixing with Gilles at Froghappy Studios. I’ve gone beyond that and have done more video editing and the titles. Gilles and I are meeting again tomorrow to do what will hopefully be a final audio mix for the piece.
So though it was useful for me to only have one goal last week I surpassed it, which feels good but makes me think I could have added another goal. I’m not convinced that is a reasonable way to think about it but there it is.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
the 60×60 project—Canadian Concert mix—is being presented at Bushwakker’s Brew Pub (2206 Dewdney Avenue) in Regina.
My piece interchange
is part of the mix
To make the prairie performance of the mix a bit different from the other performances, the pieces will be diffused throughout the space.
Last week I had two goals, one of which I accomplished:
1. to make a rough edit of susurrations
2. to figure out how to deal with my email so it doesn’t take over my day
Last week I posted the following goals:
1. to stick with my new routine
2. to rehearse & record the music for “susurrations”
3. to register myself & J for classes
4. to make a rough edit of “susurrations”
And did pretty well accomplishing most of that.